View Single Post

Old 01-29-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts

In my opinion, along with that and $5 you can get a nice cup of coffee from Starbucks, H110/W296 performs better in my guns. That being said, I am shooting only jacketed bullets from carbines with it. A Hornady 240gr XTP with a maximum load of H110/W296 from those 20" barrels is giving me around 1850fps. 2400, not so much, 1600fps ish.

Saying all of that, here is something else, I just bought another can of 2400!

Both have their purposes. Some claim the ball powder causes more top strap erosion than a flake powder. I'm not sure that 2400 is a "flamey" as H110/W296, you know, fireballish or whatever.

I use H110/W296 in the 45Colt too and have had great results with those "Ruger Only" loads, from a Puma carbine as well.

I am one of those that uses magnum primers with 2400. My chronograph tells me it gives better consistency from my guns. In magnum primers, I am saying either Winchester Large Pistol designed for standard and magnum loads or Wolfe Large Pistol Magnum primers. Both give the same performance, exactly. Federal and Wolfe standard primers give the same numerical results too. FWIW

The "coolness" factor of 2400 is there too. I mean, you will be loading with the "Greats" at that point! Elmer, Skelton, Sharpe and on and on you could go. Of course, like Bullseye and Unique, there wasn't much other choices back then!