View Single Post

Old 01-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

My 625-7 MG was my first S&W - and I tried to wear it out. I even started reloading just to feed it. Whether 200gr LRNFP at 700 fps from .45 Schofield cases or 255gr LSWC/250gr Gold Dots at nearing 900 fps from .45 Colt cases - with wood grips - they are fun all day shooters. The initial humor of a S&W revolver with 'Colt' emblazoned on it did fade - as does the laser writing on the tapered tube.

Pet peeves include the smallish hammer & trigger - and the black/black sights. They pale when you feel the balance - with Ahrends square conversion cocobolo grips. Transfer those peeves to the 629 MG in .44 Magnum - where you have a choice - the production 4" 629, with only a 2 oz premium, has a full barrel/partial lug, larger hammer & trigger, and orange ramp/white outline sights. There isn't a current similar straight 625 version, so the 625 MG is it, if you want a later production SS .45 Colt.

Here is my original one, the 625-7 MG depicted earlier, with it's longer barrel friend - a Rossi/Puma SS 24" Octagon barrel M1892, sporting a Marbles Tang Sight. I bought it several months after the MG - great combo. Forget the wider rimmed .45 Schofields - only the .45 Colts will fit the narrow gate.

Fun round, if a bit pricey these days to reload. I seem to have 'discovered' .38 Specials since - and, more recently, .22 rimfire. Still, that big but relatively mild round is fun.

Stainz
The Following 2 Users Like Post: