View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,499 Times in 6,017 Posts
Default AND it shoots!

Well, in spite of the horror stories about how an 18-pound gritty double action pull would probably spoil the accuracy of an otherwise exceptional pistol, it's evident to me that the H&K designers did a pretty good job.

I took my H&K VP 70 Z to the range today and wrung it out. Here are my first 18 shots on a silhouette target at 7 yards. It was fired at about a "timed fire" cadence as fast as the target could be re-acquired and the trigger pulled. Those shots kept going into a group that can be covered with one hand. The factory fixed sights required no adjustment whatsoever.

The only problem I had was that in near darkness, the unusual front sight is difficult to distinguish. The front sight consists of a wide polished ramp, in the center of which is a straight darkened groove. In good light, this appears as a dark, thin front sight, and prevents the usual bluing wear that can develop on a conventional front sight. However, in darkness, that front sight becomes a blob that you cannot center in the rear sight.

All in all, I was pleased with the way this 31-year old innovative pistol performed. Recoil was mild in spite of it being a blow-back action. Once you get used to the trigger, it pulls through with the letoff being a bit of a surprise, which works to advantage. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a robust self-defense pistol.

John