View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I don't like mag disconnects because they work to untrain my mind that the gun is always loaded and can be fired, even with an empty mag well. While this may not be the case with my M&P 40c (or my Five-Seven for that matter), it is the case with just about every other gun I own. This creates a moment of confusion and possible accidents when handling other guns, especially the ones that require the trigger to be pulled before disassembly (Glock, XD, FN Five Seven, etc). Personally, I don't want a mag anywhere near my gun (loaded or not), when I have to pull the trigger in my home for maintenance reasons. My safety routine involves removing the mag and racking the slide more than once to check that the gun is empty. Having to put a mag in some of my guns to release the trigger sets up the potential for a mistake when I safety check it. It is unlikely to happen, but now that I am introducing more guns with mag disconnects alongside my existing ones without one that require the trigger to be pulled for stripping, the odds of an accident are increasing.