View Single Post

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Here is an update on my jamming problem. My wife and I went to the range today and shot 150 rounds today–she shot 90 rounds and I shot 60. We were shooting 15 rounds per magazine. She went through 4 magazines without a problem, but on her fifth magazine, the gun jammed four times. Using the same magazine, I then shot 15 rounds without a jam. I thought she may have been getting a little fatigued, so on the next round, I instructed her to maintain a very firm grip, shoot five rounds, put the gun down for 30 seconds and then shoot another five rounds. Shooting five rounds and resting resulted in her shooting the 15 round magazine without a jam.

Since we were shooting the same ammunition, with the same magazine and I did not have any jams, but she had several, it appears that her loose grip may be the culprit. Much to my delight, my wife enjoys shooting the pistol, but is frustrated with malfunctions. We will be shooting with some friends this weekend, and my wife will be able to fire a Glock 9 mm. I have the feeling that if the Glock isn't as sensitive to grip related jams, I will end up buying her a Glock.

As for the issue of cleaning a new gun before firing, I downloaded the owners manual prior to taking delivery and read the instructions. The gun was cleaned and the seven lubrication points received a drop of gun oil prior to firing the first round.

Since my wife is a 125 pound novice shooter, we will have to work on her maintaining a very firm grip. She will also probably benefit from some upper body and grip strength training.

Thanks to the contributors with the constructive comments.