View Single Post

Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If all my guns had a mag disconnect, then it would not be a problem. The fact is that most of the too many I own do not have one...I grew up on guns that do not have the mag disconnect. When it comes to safety checking them, besides never pointing them in an unsafe direction, assuming the gun is always loaded and all that, there were a few redundancies which were healthy in striker-fired to disassemble/no mag-disconnect pistols to reassure the gun is safe. One of these was to not have the mag (loaded or unloaded) near any gun you are clearing/cleaning/safety checking/observing/handing to another person, etc. The other was to rack the slide a few times before and after you check to make sure the chamber is empty.

Well if you are about to strip a Glock, XD, Five-Seven, Kahr, or some other striker fired pistol like them (I own all of the above), you have to pull the trigger beforehand. When I do this, I don't want a mag of which I cannot see is loaded or not in the well...Just before I strip my guns, I often rack the slide one last time to quadruple-check the gun is not loaded. If a mag is in it and there is a tiny chance it is loaded, such as in a gun I have not fired in a while that I have ready for use, yet forgotten it was in that condition, then I could very well be chambering a round. It has happened to me one time when I accidentally chambered my Glock 19 which I thought for sure was unloaded, but wasn't. I was pulling back the slide, expecting it to stay back. It didn't and this alerted me that something was not right. I quintuple checked it and all was fine. Of course, I have a Beretta 92 which often will not hold the slide back on empty with the ****** PB mags that came with it unless I am forceful on the rack. In a human moment, without redundancies I could conceivably perform an error and put a hole in the bedroom floor.

Now that I have another gun with a mag disconnect, one of the redundancies is removed. I have to detrain myself from keeping the mags away from my gun when I am performing functions on it, other than firing it.