View Single Post

Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You don't need a mag in it to strip it. But you do need a mag to release the firing pin. In most of my guns, you need to release the striker to strip the gun. In the case of my Five-Seven, you need to release the striker with an empty mag before you strip it. I have grown up with striker-fired pistols where you have to release the striker from its cocked position before you strip them. Before doing so, one of the redundant steps is to take the mag out while safety checking and pulling the trigger to release the striker from its cocked position. Having the mag out while safety checking and pulling the trigger reduced the chances of ever accidentally (unbeknownst to me) loading the chamber with a live round. Now that I have to leave a mag in, this extra precaution of not having a mag anywhere near the gun (loaded or unloaded) is removed. I have to undo what I was taught to do and have been doing for years. Now that mag disconnects are required in California, I am being forced to deal with them, whereas others in the free parts of the country have a choice as to whether or not they can have them.

When having to deal with the disconnect in S&W's may not be dangerous, it certainly is when dealing with other guns that are not designed with it if I have to pull the trigger to disassemble them. Having the mag nowhere near the gun was always part of the safety process. Pulling the trigger is part of the disassembly process. Not wanting to have a potential to mix up the take down procedures of different striker fired guns where I have always had to pull the trigger to begin the process, I would like to have the choice to not be forced to buy guns with a mag disconnect.

I hope I'm not being confusing. I really am trying to explain my preferences versus what is a new reality. I will eventually get used to more and more guns with mag disconnects...I just personally would prefer that none of mine had it.