View Single Post

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Liked 5,840 Times in 1,240 Posts

I grew up near Cody and had a lot of relatives there, so I spent a great deal of time there as a kid. My grandmother had lived in Cody since about 1910 and knew Buffalo Bill in his later years though she never liked him much. She always thought he was pretty much full of wind. Back in those days, the museum was the "Buffalo Bill Museum." It was housed in the little log building that is now the Chamber of Commerce building across the street from the present museum complex. Even in the late '50's I used to love going to the museum, but we could never get Grandma to go. I believe admission was around 50 cents at the time. When we asked her to go to the museum with us, she would always say that she never liked Buffalo Bill and she "wasn't going to pay 50 cents to see his stuff!" I'd bet I've seen Lucretia Borgia at least a hundred times.

Even then it was a fun place to go, and it has since grown up into a true world-class museum. If you have any interest at all in western history or art, in firearms of all types or in natural history, you owe yourself a trip to Cody. Take a couple of days, at least, to take it all in. Believe me, you won't regret it.