View Single Post

Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Liked 379 Times in 219 Posts

The one and only .44 Magnum load I use is Elmer Keith's old load of 22.0 grs. of 2400 with a 250ish gr. hard cast SWC. I never loaded this cartridge until recently and don't have any molds for any bullets so I bought a box of open Laser Cast 240 gr. SWC from the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. I decided that since this load was good enough for Elmer, it should should be good enough for me and my 629-2 Mountain Lion. Well, accuracy is outstanding. Despite the severe recoil in the light gun, I can hit better with this gun and load under field conditions than with any of my other revolvers, as far as heavy hunting loads are concerned. And I am not getting any of the unburned powder that others seem to have.

I have done a lot of handloading of heavy .45 Colt and my experience has taught me that 2400 is the better powder for bullets that weigh less than about 300 grs. I always saved 296 or H110 for the very heavy bullets at high velocity, and I see no reason to change this policy when loading .44 Magnum.

Dave Sinko