View Single Post

Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 AM

Liked 931 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
I appreciate all the replies and helpful hints. I have a question and a mini-rant:

Question: How do you mix in the Japan Drier with the Tru-Oil? Shake the bottle?

Mini-rant: From the instructions on the bottle: "Allow to dry thoroughly -at least 2 hours." Whom do they think they're kidding?

Andy
Add the drier, close up tight and shake it real good. You must remember to shake the he11 out of it prior to everytime you use it as the drier wants to seperate. They are not kidding...when the Tru-oil is right it will dry in less than 2 hours with a little heat, like sitting near a woodstove. I have finished the hand rub coats and sprayed the final in one day on many stocks. The final spray has to dry overnight. That includes rubbing down with #0000 steel wool between the hand rubbed coats. Wipe down with a degreaser before the spray coat. It also helps to get a perfect finish with the spray if you run hot water over the can to warm it up good before you actually do the spray. Japan drier and a little heat is the key though when you are doing the hand rub coats. You can set it outside in the sun during the summer and get the same effect as the woodstove in the winter. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to rush it along, always better if you take whatever time{within reason} you need. Good luck.

Last edited by msinc; 02-06-2011 at 12:31 AM.