View Single Post

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,354 Times in 5,549 Posts

A .410 slug?? Whats the grain/weight of the slug and the FPS/energy were talking about with the 410 slug??

Not too long ago there was a bear killed by someone that was in the guys shed. He shot it with one shot with a .410 shotgun and dropped it on the spot.

Its also a fact that most don't realize that the 357mag, the 41mag and the 44mag has killed every game in north america thanks to Elmer Keith and the others at the birth of handgun hunting.

I wouldn't be afraid to go into the wilds with any 357mag, 41mag or 44mag. But at the sametime don't under estimate the power of the shotguns using the slugs too. The 12ga slug is over 400gr's in weight. I'm not sure about the 410 slug but at 1800fps and the weight of a 9mm bullet(100grs) isn't too bad. Speed could be a factor with it. One more thought ever think about bird hunting with a 410 revolver (close shots?) It would be great for snakes too. Bill

BTW; I just don't understand it when someone wants to hunt with a 1911 in 45acp with its 450ft lbs @ the muzzle that scares me. Its the accuracy and power at lets say 50yds that worries me. Plus the animal deserves a quick clean kill to not to make it suffer thats what i'm talking about. People get all wrapped up in one caliber when there are many more better ones out there.

Plus when hunters do stupid things without thinking. On one hunting trip we had a group of us go out and look for a wounded bear. The butt-head shot it in the @ss of course it ran off. We never found it. A year later we shot a bear in the same area and while butchering it i found a perfect 30cal bullet in the hind quarter. The 3 shots we made were accounted for when i found a 4th shot that was all healed over. Its a matter of do we shoot or not. If its not a quick clean kill let it go. this bear did lead these guys over two mountains and one valley to my camp in the pouring rain. All i'm trying to say is besafe in a situation were we can back off do it.

Last edited by BigBill; 02-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.