View Single Post

Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read an article in I think Field and Stream many years ago about a man that killed a charging grizzly with a 22 auto. The story was him and his young son were walking a trail and when they rounded a corner, there was a grizzly standing there. The man sent his son packing down the trail as the bear turned and charged. The guy shot the grizzly 8 times in the head with his 22 and it died at his feet.

Just like the story with the 410 killing the bear from BigBill. I think both these individuals were extremely lucky with the shot placement. After all, shot placement is key for a kill shot regardless of how big the caliber.

That being said, I do not believe any of the 410 handguns out there are suitable for anything more than maybe snakes and small varmints. If you are conciously going in to bear country, do yourself a favor and carry a big bore shorter barrel revolver. I think the 500 is a little over the top unless you are hunting with a long barrel version, but a 454, 44 mag, or 45 colt with the right HEAVY loads in a 4 inch or less barrel is good. After all, you will not feel the recoil if you actually have to use it, and the adrenaline will slow the world down and make the whole incident feel like slow motion.

My last thought, that whatever you are going to carry, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! And Practice as real as you can! If you have a range with auto target retrievers or hand crank, and it is safe to do so, have someone staret the target back toward you and draw and fire your weapon to see if you can hit the target as it is coming toward you!

.44 over the .410 ALL DAY EVERYDAY!