Thread: S&W 38
View Single Post

Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnutred View Post
There should be less felt recoil from a Model 10 than a Model 36 with identical ammo simply because of the grater mass of the Model 10. However if you already have a M36 what grips were you using? It's possible that with rubber grips and target type ammo your M36 would be manageable.
+1. The recoil of a weapon is in direct proportion to the weight of the weapon, assuming the same ammunition type is used in each.

Perceived recoil can be influenced significantly by the size, shape, and material of the grips used. Smaller grip size, especially combined with a hard grip material, usually results in more "felt" recoil. Larger grip size, wider surfaces impacting against the hand, and softer grip material can make a big difference in "felt" recoil.

A 4" Model 10 revolver shooting wadcutter target loads is a pretty mild combination for most folks. Add a set of Pachmayr Signature soft-rubber grips and it gets even better.

One of my long-time companions has been a Model 37 Airweight Chief Special. I used the factory Magna grips and a Tyler T-grip for many years, but have more recently gone to a boot-style grip. I use only standard velocity ammunition in this piece, and even with that a 50-round session at the range always reminds me of what I am compromising when using a small lightweight revolver.

One of my hunting revolvers is a 6.5" Model 29 .44 magnum, fitted with Pachmayr grips. I am careful in what I feed that beast, too!

Best regards.