View Single Post

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. I did find load data for some 5744 powder in the 1500 fps range. I think I'll try that. Yes, I was aware of the issue with the XTP vs the XTP Mags. Hornady's web site says the XTP's are only good up to 1500 fps but I see sites with people pushing them in the 1700 fps range all the time. I think I will keep them at a 1500 fps top end and use the XTP Mags for anything hotter. I appreciate the feedback on the issue with the forcing cone and the lighter loads. Seems I dont need to worry about it with the 45 Colts. I also have come to the conclusion that the 454's were kind of a waste in this gun since I can either load the 45 Colts hot or the 460 mags light and achieve the same thing as the 454's. Oh well, it's one of the prices that I have had to pay for not having a mentor for this new hobbie of mine. I did buy some Trail Boss at a gun show this morning and I'm going to get some 255 grain SWC hard cast bullets to try in both the 45 Colt and light loads in the 460. I saw that my brass for the 460 was shipped last night! Yay!

Now, how do I deal with this addiction I seem to have developed in terms of reloading equipment and supplies?!