View Single Post

Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,739 Times in 1,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk View Post
Most of the titanium cylinder/aluminum frame S&W's have titanium pivot pins in the frame. What material are the pivot pins in the 442 made of? I have heard they are aluminum. It seems incomprehensible that S&W would use aluminum for the pivot pins, yet the ones on mine do not attract a magnet. Now some types of stainless steel also do not attract a magnet. Does anyone here know what type of metal is used for the 442 pivot pins? Durability issues could potentially arise when a titanium cylinder is installed if the pins are aluminum as the lighter weight would increase recoil stress on the pivot pins. The factory titanium pins are used on scandium/aluminum models with titanium cylinders for increased durability. But these are chambered in .357. The 442 in .38 special may not need the titanium pins. Thoughts?
That is an interesting question...I assume that they are aluminum. I don't think that it would be easy or worthwhile to mate any other material to the aluminum frame. As for durability...we"ll see how it goes.