View Single Post

Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Liked 2,444 Times in 1,097 Posts

Well, thanks again to all who have responded. I've not done much wood finishing in my life, and so am largely dependent on experienced people.

I chose Tru Oil after reading a couple of other threads here in which virtually every participant sang its praises. Wouldn't you know it; I buy some and start to use the stuff and run into several veterans of stock finishing who don't recommend it. Oh well; when we have tens of thousands of members, that's the way it will be, I guess.

I could get some Tung Oil, but I very seriously doubt that I'll be doing much more finishing. Anything I would buy would likely just sit on the shelf the rest of my days with little of it used. If it's available in just a few ounces, as the Tru Oil is, I might be more interested.

I'm not super picky about how the finish looks; I just know that I prefer a glossier surface, not just because I like the look of it better, but more importantly because I can grip it better. I had a satin-finished Hogue wood grip on a 686 for awhile, but it is just too slippery for me; I was afraid I would drop it someday at the range, which wouldn't be good at all. The S&W checkered grips would solve this problem, but I don't like checkering on a revolver grip. That's why I've been replacing all of them with smooth targets.

Listen to this: one of the posters here said that he called Birchwood Casey and they recommended adding Japan Drier to Tru Oil to help with the drying issue. Out of curiosity I just called them a little bit ago, and the person I talked to said that that wouldn't work, because Tru Oil is a water-based finish!!! In a good-natured voice I said, "Oh, so the name is misleading(Tru-Oil). I also read the label back to the person: "Its unique blend of linseed and natural oils dries fast..." She nevertheless insisted that it is a water-based product. What do you think about that? I was going to get some Japan Drier this evening, but now I'm not so sure. However I can't help but think the lady on the phone was mistaken.

This sure makes being a consumer frustrating; but if that is the worst problem I have today, I will count my blessings.

Thanks again, friends. I'll review all your suggestions again, and I'm sure something will work for me.
Andy

Last edited by snowman; 02-15-2011 at 03:58 PM.