Thread: EDC Gun Choice
View Single Post

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

My point is to suggest to newbs that they don't need to start out with a bazooka. I started out buying larger frame/higher capacity handguns, that are great fun at the range but lack any practical application for a civilian. Many thousands of $$$ later, they just sit in my safe 99% of the time.

Lots and lots of excellent pocket pistols (eg J-frames), sub-compacts (eg Glock 27), and compacts (eg Glock 23) out there, these days! There is also a big revolution in handgun ammunition, like Hornaday Critical Defense, that is specifically engineered for short barreled weapons. There is now no ballistic downside to going with something light and compact vs some huge heavy slab of steel....if you choose the right ammunition.

I know when I was a kid, everybody warned us against carrying a "snubby" revolver. The reason was the technologically poor ammunition available (eg 158 gr LSWC's). No doubt, sage advice back then! But hell....now you can shoot screaming "shock and awe" 125 gr .357's, from a little scandium alloy J-frame.

Last edited by off road; 02-18-2011 at 09:43 AM.