Thread: EDC Gun Choice
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Liked 95 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by off road View Post
We don't live in a perfect world! These days, I am recommending the Ruger .357 LCR for the average Joe. Supreb recoil absorbing grips (when oh when will S&W learn this lesson???), excellent trigger pull, and 17 oz for at least some recoil absorption. Light, compact, and packable. Load Glasers in the house, and Hornaday Critical Defense elsewhere (.38 or .38+P). Hope they will go to the range at least once, and sight it in.

This is all we can hope for....
I generally leave my students to make their own decision, without a specific recommendation, after they evaluate the requirements THEY will have in a carry gun.

For example, I ask them to think about what THEY expect the gun to do. I ask them to think about THEIR lifestyle, THEIR style of dress, and THEIR activity level. I ask them to make a true, honest assessment of how much time they will realistically spend training with this gun and under what circumstances. And then I ask them to think about what the true role of this gun is going to be and under what circumstances they can expect to have to be able to deploy it efficiently, effectively, and decisively.

You see, the requirements I have for my EDC might be a bit different than the requirements another person may have, and it doesn't really do them any good for me to make a specific recommendation based on MY requirements. That said, I will offer general recommendations as well as give some guidance as they evaluate the questions I asked above.

As for me, a few of my requirements for my EDC:

A) The size/design of the gun MUST lend itself to ME being able to fight with it! That means I must be able to utilize it efficiently even with highly degraded motor skills, under severe stress, and with EITHER hand. It must NOT have any "on/off" (safety) switches that have to be activated in order to make the gun work, even a passive safety such as a grip safety. Also, the gun must be big enough that I can really get my big hands on it so as to fully utilize all of the strength in my grip so I can better retain the weapon.

B) It must be of an adequate defensive caliber. In my mind, I would feel plenty comfortable with 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, or .45ACP, or in a revolver, .38 SPL +P, .357 Mag., .44 SPL, or .45LC. A .380, IMO, is barely inadequate, and except for very specific and limited circumstances, I would never carry one for anything more than a backup, and then, I would probably carry it loaded with FMJ ammo.

C) The gun needs to be "de-horned" so as not to catch or snag on clothing or it's holster when I go to draw it. There are a number of "fighting" handguns on the market that come this way straight from the factory.

D) It must be absolutely reliable. 100% is ideal (hard to get that with any of the micro guns), and 99.9% is acceptable. Yes, any gun can malfunction at any time. Still, it's best to stay away from designs that are notorious for problems.