View Single Post

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Liked 165 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiden View Post
Not so much about using a steel 3rd gen .45, but here's an interesting experience I just had with my 4506 while on-duty... I just cleared an assist to another agency that involved a few of us from the Sheriff's Office. A supervisor from the police department came straight over to me to get a situation report and to see what we were going to do, instead of going to our supervisor, who was standing next to me. Later on I asked that police supervisor why he came to me and he said because I was wearing leather gear and carried a 4506, whereas everyone else was wearing Bianchi Accumold and carrying a Glock. He figured I must have been around a long time, and naturally the ranking officer, as I had what he called a "steel .45."

Interestingly enough, I've had this happen before. I guess what we carry says something to others.
Ya' know, that's kind funny you should say that. Here in my part of the world every agency and their brother issues glocks. My agency and two others in the metro area allow officers to carry what they want. I've carried an HK, 1911 but I've been carrying three different TSW's (three different guns for three different seasons) for quite some time now. I've discovered over the years that cops and everyone else always look at the holster and what's in it. Every time I go downtown to book someone I get quizzical looks every time I either put my gun in or take my gun out of the lock box. And, when I'm questioned about what I'm carrying my answer always seems to either astonish, amuse or baffel. The "why do you carry that" question always gets asked. And my answer is simple: The first handgun I ever owned and carried as a rookie was an early model 5904 and I guess I just have an affinity for 3rd Gens. I know my Smiths work everytime I pull the trigger. Sure they bobble every now and then but what gun doesn't? Besides, if I ever run out of ammo, I can crack your skull with it. Can you do the same with your glock? My guys call me "old school" not because of my age but because I wear leather gear and carry a steel gun. And, I must say, that I am flattered.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: