View Single Post

Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBODOM View Post
I have no mechanical skills and won't be trying any sort of fixof the laser in fear of ruining things to a point that the warranty won't be honored due to my unauthorized abuse of the weapon...lol
Guess my question is, Will S&W ever come out with a true fix. I only bought this weapon Yesterday morning but the laser is so hard to use it might as well not be there. When I asked about upgrading the sights on the weapon in case the battery died ( the current sights are almost invisible), some old school hard azz behind the counter went off about how at close range " sights don't do you no good anyhow". Not saying he's wrong but having something other than the laser for aiming would be nice.
@ROBODOM, If you don't feel like you have the mechanical skills to pull it off then I would agree w/ you not trying the mod yourself. lol Too bad though, because it works really well. FYI if S&W sanctions the mods by even giving folks extra buttons to work w/, then I don't see how we are voiding any warranties. I will call them to find out today if the tube button inserts would void the warranty. Regardless, you should also know that exactly what is required to place the inserts in the buttons, is also required in order to change out the buttons, & batteries for the laser. S&W sent me new buttons to change out on my own, so I know that this process does NOT void the warranty.

As far as the night sights go, I totally agree w/ you. I am definitely from the fault tolerant camp, & if there is a likely scenario where something can go wrong it only makes sense to prepare for that. Isn't that why we got the guns to begin w/??? lol Personally, I have backup night sights for all of my weapons that I bother putting optics & lasers on.

Moving on there are a couple of options I would recommend:

1) You can get tritium night sights from HERE on page 2 of the catalog, in the upper right hand corner. I am going w/ that solution as priced out it will be ~$130 + s&h of slide to them for the installation (included in price). I figure this would be route you would want, given what you have stated about mechanical skill level.

2) If you feel daring, and don't mind ensuring that you expose your sights to some UV light every night, then a cheaper solution is the glow in dark stickers from Nightsiters HERE. I would go w/ the second set from the left, "Nitesiters Large Dot & Strip Set" + at least the "9 LED UV light" unless you find one cheaper elsewhere, the total will be about $32 delivered.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Physboy; 02-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.