View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked 1,636 Times in 681 Posts

Thank you Bomberman for the data, it was so long ago that I used to load the heavy bullets in the 45acp; I couldn’t remember what speeds I was getting with them. After reading your data I remember my bullets being in the same speeds as your data.

There seems to be a real steep drop in velocity with the 45acp bullets shot out of a 5”bbl 1911 when you get over 240gr bullets. I remember using mag powders & hot roding the reloads to the max trying to get the velocities up on the heaver bullets. In the end I found I was doing nothing more than beating an excellent pistol to death.

That’s a great nose profile on John’s bullets. I shoot the same bullet in the 45acp, but I use the 200gr bullet. That design puts a nice smack on pins/plates; it’s a very solid hitting sound as whatever you hit goes flying. I also use that bullet design in the 38/357 loads & I’m thinking of getting that design for the 44spl/mag. That bullet design just feeds well in everything I’ve tried them in, hits hard with no ricochet or bounce back has an excellent crimp groove that will easily take a taper crimp or a roll crimp.

These guys that are lucky enough to own the 25/625 platforms probably do very well with the heavier bullets. I ended up beating up 2 1911’s pretty badly with the heavy bullets & the supped up loads. One was a 70 series steal framed colt commander. I basically turned it into a pile of junk after 1 season of beating on it. I started to egg shape the holes that the slide stop went into.

Good luck with it, in the end I found that I could run a 200gr bullet @around 900fps mild/1000fps hot, a 230gr bullet @around 850fps mild/900fps hot or a 260gr bullet @around 750fps mild/800fps hot. There’s just not that much gain in a 1911 with the heavier bullets +30gr bullet weight for – 100fps in speed.