View Single Post

Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I was a manufacturing rep for 20 some years before becoming a Realtor. I ran into this exact situation.

A homeowner bought a house with our product in it. The product was 15 years old. They wanted it replaced because our products in the stores had a lifetime warranty (to the original owner). I informed them that:
1) The product was sold with a 10 year warranty to the original owner.
2) Just because the new products in the stores have a lifetime warranty doesn't mean that it applies retroactively to all of our products that we ever sold.

They raised cane and told me I was inept & did everything they could trying to get the product replaced. They ended up threatening to never buy another product from us. I think they ended up just getting it repaired. They later called and wanted me to come look at the product & I just gave them the 1-800 # and told them it wasn't my job. You don't call someone names and then act like nothing happened. Anyway...

You might have had more luck if you had been the original owner & had it all of these years, but you just bought it & it didn't have a lifetime warranty. That seems to be cut & dry to me. The fact that the new guns have a life time warranty means nothing in this case.

...Then again the CS rep mis-spoke and told you they would take care of it. But what exactly does take care of it really mean. Now will they offer it back to you unrepaired if you refuse to pay for it? Man if I had told the home owner... "no problem I'll take care of it" that might have really screwed things up. Let me stop before I talk myself into taking your side...

Last edited by ET.; 02-23-2011 at 03:43 PM.