Thread: Why 41 Mag?
View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,353 Times in 5,549 Posts

Why not the 41mag?

If you haven't noticed there is a big gap between the 357mag and the 44mag ballastics wise and the 41mag does fill in this gap. I think its been the underdog, its been overlooked and sometimes forgotten about magnum caliber for many years. Its the middle child between the 357mag and the 44mag. It has more power and less recoil than the 357mag yet it can hang in there with the 44mag. In some bullet weights it has more power than the 44mag (41mag 210gr vs 44mag 210gr).
While the 357mag and 44mag shine more on there own the 41mag needs no help and can shine on its own too if we give it a try. There's more pro's than con's about the 41mag too. There's nothing the 44mag can do that the 41mag won't do. Just ask the hunters who use both. They will tell you that they see no difference in killing power between the 41mag and the 44mag so there pretty much equal in performance. Most 41mag owners will admit the 41mag also shoots flatter, a tad more accurate and has less recoil than a 44mag too. So really why not the 41mag?? It sounds like an interesting caliber to play with to me.

The 41mag to me is the cinderella caliber, she's an awesome performer dying to get out and prove it. Bill

BTW; I think there are more 41mag owners/shooters than we think. This is why its harder to find brass and new ammo. I really think its gaining in popularity lately too. Elmer K. would be proud i'm sure.

OT
I get nervious when i'm told that animals are extinct. I was seeing mountainlion tracks in the upper part of the green mountains for well over two and one half decades when ther were suppose to be extinct. Ok there called catamounts up there but there the samey same as cougars/mountainlions too. The one i seen was between 180lbs to 200lbs. male. Don't get me started about the larger blackbears that i have tracked up there too. They crack me up when they talk about the average size of the blackbears when there paws fit my size 13" sorrel boots. Yup there are no mountainlions up there too. When i hear the word extinct i'm on the look out for it. Think about it with the millions and millions of acres of forest how can we possibly say we killed them all and there extinct now and pose no threat.

Last edited by BigBill; 02-24-2011 at 03:07 PM.