Thread: Why 41 Mag?
View Single Post

Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonback68 View Post
Could be stated the other way around, "what does a 44 Mag do that can't be done with a 41?". Answer, nothing except there are no 41 Specials.
And that is what keeps the .41 Police in second place. I think it's as simple as that. Sure, you can load it down, but not everyone handloads. So, I think it's more hand loaders that keep the .41 alive. Just big enough of a crowd to keep it from circling the drain but not big enough to keep it in the glory light. Heck, I would say .45 Colt is far and beyond more popular even if you delete the Judge crowd. Does that extra .019 of steel make it any stronger even? And the Marlin .444 helps with the .429 bullet sales. And all the lever carbines in .44 while .41 are almost non present. There's just too much the .44 has going for it while the .41 isn't bad, it just never was really that innovative. They could just have easily made the 58 in a .44 like so many have done for them. Hey, how cool would a 658 in .44 be??? (Sweet, he thinks... Hmmm...)

P.S. - I still say .41 special doesn't exist. It isn't a factory load from a major distributor. You could make your own brass from magnum length brass it you wanted to.. Starline just found a nitch product again for who was it now??? HANDLOADERS!!! (That are the bigest thing keeping the .41 alive I still say.)

Last edited by Maximumbob54; 02-24-2011 at 10:29 PM.