View Single Post

Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 PM

Liked 152 Times in 97 Posts
Default New to Me 4506 shooting very low.

I picked up a 4506 recently in a trade. In ANIB condition, it seems to shoot well, except it's hitting about 4" low at 30 feet, with 230 gr. hardball (from a rest.) Lighter bullets hit several inches lower.

This gun, unlike the first 4506 I had many years back, doesn't have adjustable sights -- and I'm pretty sure that the "shielded" adjustables that were on my first 4506 can't be installed on this model, which has the driftable sights.

I have an adjustable LPA sight in the drawer that has a base that can be removed; that base is attached to the sight body, but is too narrow for the S&W dovetail. I can probably get my gunsmith to fabricate a new base piece that fits in the dovetail, but would prefer something else, if possible.

My objective is simply to raise the point of impact by several inches. Unhappily, the front sight is already pretty low.

Is there an adjustable after-market sight that can be put on this gun?

Is there another option?

(A friend had a Witness 45 that was shooting just as low, and his gunsmith dimpled the barrel bushing at the bottom which raised the barrel a bit and changed the point of impact. I haven't examined this one to even guess if there's enough space to allow that sort of "adjustment.")

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; 02-25-2011 at 11:30 PM.