View Single Post

Old 02-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Liked 152 Times in 97 Posts

I'll try talking with S&W. But, see below.

As the answers above indicate, it would appear they DO have sights lower than the one now installed. Mine is the equivalent to one of the higher ones: .266". But that is only a diference of .05" between mine and the lowest available.

(E-Gunparts doesn't seem to have the lower ones in stock, but does have several HIGHER!! Maybe I can sell them mine, which they show as out of stock.)

I pulled out the target I last used, and it was set at 25' and I was hitting approx 4" low. I was off on the details a bit. (That was due to the fact that I had also been trying some lighter Ranger hollow-points during the same range session. That's what gave me the 6"+ drop.)

Wikipedia has a good article about calculating how to adjust sights, and I used the following formula (for front-sight adjustment):

D1 - distance between point of aim and point of impact (4")
D2 - amount of adjustment required (to be determined)
R1 - distance from rear sight to target (307")
R2 - distance between front and rear sights (6.75") My 4506 has the low-snag sights which extend rearward from the dovetail.

Using the website's formula D2=R2(D1/R1), it looks like I'd have to lower the front sight .09" to get the point of impact I want. I'm not sure that's an option, as the lowest sight shown above is only .05" lower than mine, and I need almost TWICE that change. (Of course, it's possible that I messed up the calculations, as math isn't one of my strengths. If you see something wrong, I'll be grateful for a correction.)

I'll also talk with my gunsmith early next week about whether he can fabricate a new base for my surplus LPA adjustable to fit the stock dovetail. I'm pretty sure that will work.

To make matters worse, my eyes are at that delicate stage (after cataract surgery) that I don't see sights as clearly as I'd like. That said, I'm not having this problem with my other guns -- they are still shooting to point of aim. I'd have to say my eyes ARE a problem, but not THE problem.

Note: I don't visit the S&W site often, but when I do, I always get better, more thoughtful responses than is the case with other gun sites. Some guys here helped me with a 4006 spring problem last year. What was hard for me to figure out, was simple for them -- but their guidance helped me fix the problem.

Wonder if a different, stock REAR sight might be an option?

Thanks, again.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; 02-03-2016 at 10:11 PM.