View Single Post

Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 654 Posts
Question Please, tell me again- 110 gr 357's

I think I read about this on this forum, but I really can't remember what I read.
I have read that the reason that 110 grain .357 magnum rounds were hard on the forcing cone of a K frame because of the jump from the cylinder to the barrel allowed gases to escape and cause flame cutting to the top strap and erosion of the forcing cone. I think that's what I read. That the 158 grain .357's were closer to the cone and kept the gases from escaping better than the 110 grain screamers.
Now, here's my question: Isn't a .38 special +P round even shorter than a 110 grain.357, and wouldn't that allow even more gas to escape. I have never shot a .38 special in my .357 magnum model 65, only 158 grainers. I wound up with 2 boxes of 125 grain .38 special +P's and thought about shooting some of them to see how they hit.
If you believe that they are totally safe to shoot in my 65 then I would like to know how that could be, given the difference in the length of the shell.
Just wondering. I'm sure somebody on here know the answer. The 38 +P's I have are the Winchester white box kind.
Thank you for your input!
Peace,
gordon