View Single Post

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM
US Veteran

Liked 636 Times in 232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
SAFireman- Please refer to post #4. I've had a 58 for 22 years and I am quite familiar with this model.

I offer no complaints only opinions and fact. In my opinion the 58 is not particularly well suited for any particular purpose. There is nothing it can do that another gun can't do better. It is a fact that as a LE weapon it was a failure.

Its short production run and low popularity causing small numbers to be manufactured makes it interesting to collectors. Many like it because it was a failure. Hence the cult label.
There is one area that the model 58 was superior. When the model 57 cost $150 the model 58 cost $87.00. That was a lot of money at the time. My first .41 was a Ruger Blackhawk that I paid $87.50 for in 1965. I later traded it off on a Beretta 20 Ga Double Shotgun. In 1973 I bought a 6" model 57 and I bought my model 58 in 1978. At the time I was doing field work in Alaska and the model 58 was more comfortable to carry in a cross draw holster that the 57 was in a shoulder holster. After I left Alaska an unarmed USGS Geologist had a black bear attack her and she lost both arms as a result. Here is a photo of my model 58.

The Following 4 Users Like Post: