View Single Post

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM

Liked 1,921 Times in 1,043 Posts

I have read repeatedly that part of the .41 magnum's decent into nitch status was the fact that they made hunting ammo for the 57 and police duty use ammo for the 58, but too many people were buying the hunting ammo for the 58's and cops siad recoil was too fierce. 58's came with magnas and had no intention of hot and heavy loads although they could. So just like how (and this is IMHO) overly hot, no matter how well they worked, 125 grain magnums killed the K frame magnums, hunting ammo killed the 58's chance at popularity. I hear enough how just because the 19/66 say .357 on the side then by God that's what they are going to be fed. And go figure (like I'm getting into a habit of posting here) S&W dropped new combat magnum barrels from production. So too many people fired ammo the 58 wasn't made for (not that it hurt in in this case) but they all complained to no end of recoil, and they were dropped. But for hunting the .41 magnum and the .44 magnum are so similar that there isn't enough separation from the two to justify enough people to jump on the 57's bandwagon. The best most can say is that anything a .44 can do then so can a .41 and that isn't enough when you can load .44 specials and have dozens of factory loads to choose from. So maybe calling it the .41 magnum and not the .41 Police is what killed it. The 58 was made as a beefed up model 10 and was supposed to just offer more power to those that felt they needed it. Making a hunting version of the same gun and offering hunting ammo may just have been the finishing kill shot.

Either way, I would still like one at some point. I think it looks very down to business with the M&P look to it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: