View Single Post

Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

"Can you post pictures of a single firing pin strike on a fired case from both an empty LR case and a Mag case from this same pistol? "

Thanks for the reply Hired Gun, but, no, I don't save them. In any case, they are the same strike marks; not too light and not too deep.

It's important to understand that I am not talking about any one particular revolver. I mentioned my combos only to make the point that because the hammer strike in a particular combo has the same force on both the LR ammo and mag ammo fired from it (assuming non-defective cylinders, etc.), and because only the LR ammo sometimes has FTF, the reason for that discrepancy in ignition SEEMS to be inferior primer compound distribution in LR ammo rims. What I am saying applies to all .22 LR guns: revolvers , semi-autos, handguns and rifles, not to just my particular combo revolvers which are 100% mechanically OK. The strike marks on LR ammo rims are exactly the same as on mag ammo rims, yet only the LR ammo has FTF, especially but not only bulk pack Remington.

This is a fact based on over half a century of shooting, as well as the complaints routinely seen on gun forums: LR ammo has far, far more FTF than mag ammo. And, if you change the position in the charge hole of a struck but unfired LR round, it usually eventually fires. That's because the firing pin finally hit a point on the rim where there is some priming compound behind it.

Now, and this is another reason why I am posting this question in a smithing section, maybe LR ammo has thicker rims than 22 mag ammo. If not, then the answer has to be inferior distribution of primer compound in LR ammo. I understand that 22 LR ammo manufacturers TRY to evenly distribute the compound around the rims, but as of now, based on long years of experience, I don't believe it.

Last edited by RAMS; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.