View Single Post

Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Caliber vs bullet weight?

Arr! There are 43 states that allow deer hunting with a rifle. Of those 43 states, 38 allow the use of .22 centerfire cartridges a few even allow a .22 rim fire!.

However, I was taught to take game (Elk, deer, black bear, antelope/pronghorn, geese, ducks, game birds, and doves, and even rabbits and squirrels, etc in the MOST HUMANE manner. This goes for pests -- coyotes, foxes, fluffy bunnies, gophers, prairie dogs, and the ever annoying starling, etc). If you shoot it, it should be a clean kill, if not track it to retrieve the game. I've got a number of tracking stories for over 40+ years of hunting.

The point of discussion is EFFECTIVE KILL range for Rimfire vs centerfire. Would I use a .22 caliber for game? The answer is. it depends. Survival -Yes, AR-7 any game. The USAF survival versions - .22 hornet/.410 or the .22 LR. If I had a choice to shoot an antelope or deer with a .22LR or a larger caliber, 6mm/243 Win or larger....I'll always take the larger centerfire caliber rifle.

22 Caliber for hunting...rimfire vs. Centerfire

22 rimfire: not by choice for big game
22 centerfire: Depends -- 22-250,.223/5.56mm, and other 22 Calibers, e.g., 219 Zipper, .220 Rocket, .222 Rem. Magnum, .224 Weatherby, and .225 Winchester. I've seen elk dropped with eye shots from 22-250 shots (hand loaded - Nosler Partition 60 gr). The two brothers I know can do this kind of shooting are that good! Is it practical, not really.

Now if the game (Tango) can shoot back...I want take them down at my maximum range.... Give me the right rifle, 308/7.62mm or a nice fast and flat round, and a really good mil dot scope. Then I can reach out and tap the Mike Foxtrot at 300+ yards!

Could I shoot my 15-22 at 300+yrds? at a threat? Yes.
Would the Tango/zombie go down? Maybe. But, why worry about a threat and charging whitetail/muley

Just some more chatter to the topic.

Aim small,

TAT