View Single Post

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 AM

Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKoLnturn View Post
Where is here that you have so many deer? In my very restricted state of New York it's illegal to even field a .22 during deer season. What kind of ranges are you taking heart shots at a deer and killing it with a .22? I can see getting lucky but wouldn't the rib cage deflect or stop the rounds at any kind of distance? I have seen a deer taken with a headshot at about 40 yards using a 22 hornet and I thought that was never going to work until I saw it happen. I never even really considered a .22LR for the job if I was allowed for me.
Destruction permits enable me to shoot anytime of the year and use any weapon I want, spot light ok too. I wouldn't use a .22lr for sport either but it can be a killer on deer if close. Most of my .22lr shots were 25 to 50 yards. Yes the rib would deflect it so lucky too. But remember I'm shooting 20 to 35 deer per year. If I opened up on one 50 yards or less chances are it wasn't getting out of there. If you shoot a solid point in between it's eyes at less than 50 yards 9 times out of 10 it will be fatal in my experience. I live next to an orchard, deers love apples, pears and peaches.

I have also shot many with an AR-15. I know some states won't let you use them and some say it's not fit for big game but I assure you they will hammer whitetails at 200 yds or less shot any where in the torso or head/neck. I used 55gr military FMJ loaded to 3000fps. It will also kill them at 300 yards if you can aim.

Last edited by wbear; 02-28-2011 at 01:17 AM.