View Single Post

Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

A friend and I each ordered a 5.5" .45 Colt SS RH from our local pusher. I already had my first DA revolver, an early 7.5" .454 SRH, and my first S&W - a 625MG in .45 Colt. I picked my RH up seven years ago this Friday. I was on the phone the next AM to Ruger - on my dime - but, when they looked the s/n up, they said they'd send me a pre-paid return label - a la S&W - a first for them. The problems I found included a horrid and binding hammer/trigger and, the clincher, burst casting bubbles/flaws between the chamber exits on the cylinder face! It came back a month later with new hammer, trigger, lockwork, cylinder release, and cylinder - and a 'trigger job' for my troubles.

Operationally, it has a long DA trigger pull. When pulled slowly, ftf's occured - and I reload with Federal primers. It's ejector rod drooped more than the SRH's - and easily skipped over a rim or two, trapping them - and requiring three hands to complete a reload. The 625MG never jammed... and never produced a ftf. One day it dawned on me - I had traded away the SRH - clearly, a more dependable, if a tad uglier, revolver. Thus, I sold the RH - and traded a SS Bisley in .45 Colt for another 625MG in .45 Colt - bliss! Three years ago in May, my metamorphosis was complete - Rugers all gone - nothing but, admittedly fewer, S&W revolvers now.

Oh - my friend's .45 RH? Sadly, it wouldn't dryfire six times without opening the cylinder to 'unstick' it. His went back a few days after mine - he got a new RH - his frame was warped! He sold it within a few months. Ruger dumped the 5.5" RH's after that - CDNN had them 'on closeout'. Soon - the 4.2" .45 Colt RH was introduced - with a rubber grip (I liked the wood!) - reportedly with better QC - and a better trigger. I'll bet the chamber to chamber wall thickness is still less than the 625 - and the S&W is hammer forged and heat treated - the Ruger is cast. No matter here - I shoot SAAMI spec loads for .45 Colt. I had a .454 Casull for years - got the big thumper desires out of my system.

I hope the OP has great luck with his new RH - but I bet he'd be happier with a 625MG... what a little jewel! Hey, what'd you expect? It may be the Lounge - but it's in the S&W Forums!

Seriously, good luck!

Stainz

PS Good news - your RH will take the same HKS #25-5 speedloaders that fit the .45 Colt S&W 25 & 625 (Don't get the #25 - it's wide spaced tines are for the thick rimmed .45 Auto Rims!).