View Single Post

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 AM

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezhead View Post
i live in the sticks, so there is no one who's professional for 150mi. and the 1 i found wants $300/weekend, not including ammo. but you have to take the beginners course for $200 first. kinda out of my price range right now.
Since money is a limiting factor, I'd recommend spending the money you do have available on training, not on hardware, right now. A handheld light and a front night sight will be plenty good to cover just about any situation, if you train for it.

Adding a laser actually increases, not decreases, your training challenges, because it adds new requirements to make good decisions under stress quickly. Example: Do I look at the front sight, or do I lower the gun a bit so I can see the laser dot on the target? (Generally, at any distance less than the zero range of your laser, having a good sight picture precludes seeing the laser dot, and having the gun low enough in relation to your vision to be able to see the laser dot precludes a proper sight picture). So this makes us choose. That decision takes time to make and time to execute. This is why lots of folks (me included)report that adding a laser actually slows down target engagements until they train enough to be able make that decision quickly.

I'm just trying to help you by giving you a chance to learn from my mistakes.