View Single Post

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 AM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by who00knows View Post
I purchased a M&P 9mm about a month ago, I have shot around 1k rounds through it. I am a new shooter and have really been trying to concentrate on slowing down and getting the technique right. There has been a total of 6 or 7 times while slowly releasing the trigger after a shot, it will feel like it resets, when I squeeze the trigger again, nothing happens....Its like it clicks for a reset but it doesnt actually reset. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE?

Any recommendations? Trigger work?
You may also have the dreaded "Dead Trigger" problem, where the fool thing just won't reset no matter what, unless you work the slide. Since it's a new gun, you may want to ask S&W to upgrade the sear return spring and plunger, or at least look at it. (The "Dead Trigger" really seems to be independent of technique, btw. The sear just flops around a bit during recoil and isn't "there" when the striker is ready to contact it. You should still feel the reset....)

M&P's made after 1 October, 2010 should have the updated sear, but this appears to be a slipstream upgrade, where existing parts are still being used until they run out.

Apex will update your sear block for you - if you're going to do the DCAEK mod anyway, it'll save you a few bucks to let them do that too. Just send the slide and sear block. (These are not considered a firearm, so you can ship 'em any old way. UPS or FedEx just so you can insure/track them....) You'll still have to do the trigger spring upgrade yourself, but you could send the whole gun (for the usual nasty upcharge from FedEx or UPS), or figure that if you've learned how to get the sear block out of the gun, you can handle the trigger yourself . It's not that hard.

Everybody will also agree (I hope ) that Burwell is also a viable option. Good reputation here.... Apex probably would be faster. Any local smith can do the DCAEK upgrade, but it appears that S&W and Apex are the only source for the upgraded plunger & spring. (Burwell is, most likely, doing something with this problem, too, but I'm not sure what.) It's NOT a DIY unless you've got a good mill and some machining skills, and the part.... Apex has the spring and plungers, but I don't think anybody's just selling the plunger at this time. (The new spring is in the DCAEK kit now.)

Regards,