View Single Post

Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 AM

Liked 133 Times in 93 Posts

A model 36 made in '82 is a modern revolver and a few boxes of +P won't wear it out quickly but like driving your car at 100 mph occasionally it puts more strain on the mechanisms parts than using standard pressure ammo.

Personally if it was to be used as a carry self defense pistol I would buy one box of +P carry ammo that's made by one of the 4 major manufacturers with a good expanding JHP and test fire 5 of them to make sure I can hit the kill zone of a silhouette at 20 yds. If they hit where I aimed that would be all the +P I would shoot for practice. When I carry the gun I would load the +P along with 2 speed loaders for the ride. Revolvers are inherently reliable to unlike a semi auto there's no need to test a bunch of rounds to make sure they feed and extract reliably if 5 work you can expect the next f 5 to work just as good.

If they're needed for SD then they'd get used but I don't stress any small frame pistol I like or want to work reliably by shooting +P just to punch paper. Maybe once or twice a year I'd shoot another 5 rounds of +P just to remind myself what they're like.

Practice would be done with standard velocity reloads or factory ammo if you are not a hand loader. At the ranges handguns are shot I find little difference in point of aim vs point of impact between standard velocity and +P. An inch high or low at 25 yards may make a lot of difference when scoring targets but in a SD situation at the typical 5 to 10 yds it will make no difference at all.