View Single Post

Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Liked 1,766 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1A View Post
I recently purchased my first shotgun (a 12 gauge pump Mossberg 500) for self defense use in my house. I have a large collection of handguns and rifles and reload for them but don't know jack about shotgun ammo. In the past I have shot a friends pump with 00 buckshot but as I have a bad shoulder it really hurts with that load. I am looking for a good knockdown load that won't be so harsh on my fragile shoulder any suggestions. I don't know a lot about the different shot sizes and assume I need to look for something with less ft-lbs of energy.
Good choice.I especially like the Moss`s top mounted safety.
In a extreme emergency you won`t notice the recoil so for defense, load good powerful stuff, but for practice go light.

you will be very surprised when you pattern your gun -birdshot at 10-15 feet will only spread out to about a 9 inch pie plate size circle

there is a video on youtube showing the penetration on different layers of drywall with shotguns.
You can also load various types of shells in one loading. A shotgun is very versatile.
I like having a tactical flashlight on mine. I absolutely want a positive ID on my target before I shoot.