View Single Post

Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainz View Post
I shoot 550 Federal packs (36gr plated HP) from WallyWorld (<$16). After the last three trips with my newest - the 3" 63 - and 600-700 rounds - I finally cleaned it again. It wasn't any dirtier than your's was in the pictures. The last time out, I finally had a ftf in it - and it left the cartridge with a with a great rim pinch. Turned it, tried again - DA, like 98% of my handgun shooting - and it fired fine. That's my second ftf from that ammo - in ~16 boxes - the first one never fired - from my CZ-452 rifle. I guess Thursday's had an uneven primer distribution in the rim.

About ammo... A 3", much less something shorter, .22 LR is not a target piece. I have Eley Match and several other target grade .22 ammo's, including a brick of the CMP's black box Aguila target ammo. They made a bare minimum of a difference in my 4" 617 shot from sandbags - and that was mostly hitting lower than the aforementioned Federals. Fired from my CZ or Kimber bolt actions, yes, they make a difference, group wise. But - the odd fliers I experienced shooting Federal 'American' lead .22's just aren't there for the el-cheapo Federals I use now. They are fine for my .22 revolvers and plinking fun. If you want it to have a beer palate, don't start it out on champagne!

Stainz
I've heard good things about the Federal bricks...I'll be picking up a couple of those for the next range trip, along with a box or two of CCI's. That brick of 555 red box Winchester didn't shoot as dirty as I would of thought, but I had 5 or 6 complete 'duds' out of the one box. I've never considered myself a target shooter, so as far as 'boutique' ammo goes, I think the regular CCI's are going to be as about exotic as I get with .22LR ammo. This is really just a fun plinker and cheaper shooting snub trainer for me, so there wont be much rested groups being fired at 25 yards. I was impressed with it's accuracy though, it shot nice and tight (standing) all the way out to 50'....which may be a drop in the hat for some guys, but that's pretty good for me Thanks for the insight on ammo, Stainz......these little Kit Guns sure are sweet little shooters, huh?