View Single Post

Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 142 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall gunner View Post
In your photos the forcing cone has a number of concentric rings that look like tool marks. Is this normal in this gun? The reason I ask is I just bought a new 63 (3") and it has those same marks. It bothered me so much I sent the gun back to Davidson's (gallery of guns) And asked for a replacement. It looked like something that would accumulate lead quickly and hurt accuracy. Am I way off base here and that's just the way they're built?
This is the only Model 63 that I've ever had any real experience with, so I don't know if the concentric rings are a flaw or just part of the manufacturing process. I do notice in my 6 other S&W's, all centerfire; there is that same little bit of space on the forcing cone before the rifling starts and there are differing degrees of those same rings in that space. They appear to be most pronounced on the M63 though. It may be because this is a brand new gun too. I can tell you this though, they didn't gather any noticeable amount of lead at the range, and this little snub is certainly capable of more accuracy than I am. Maybe some more guys with experience with these M63's can give you a better idea of how common/uncommon these rings really are. I probably would of posted a thread here in the forum before I sent the gun back though...this board is a wealth of information and there's plenty of fine folks here willing to share their knowledge and experience. Either way, good luck with your new M63....I've only had mine a short time and it's quickly became my favorite