View Single Post

Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

First of all, I agree with those who call for more training instead of more gadgets.

The only weapon I have with a tac-light attached is my Rem 870 Express shotgun because it takes two hands to manage the gun.

Other than that I have a hand-held tac light next to every self defense handgun. The reason is that I don't want to have to point a ready-to-fire weapon at someone just to light them up.

My close neighbors call me when they need an immediate response. Unfortunately, after Katrina in 2005, the ninth ward of New Orleans seems to have moved in to the apartment complexes nearby. It's rare that two weeks go by without hearing gunfire, especially on late weekend nights. Our neighborhood association collects money and pays for extra Dallas Police Dept patrol time.

My neighbor across the street called me one night two weeks ago. He heard something on the roof and the dogs were going nuts. I was able to check out his roof with my tac light without swinging my gun all over the place. Probably a raccoon. I digress. But, when the police come, all I have in my hands is a flashlight.

As for a laser, big cool factor but there are two ends to a laser beam and you will be one of them. If I'm facing a potentially lethal threat I'm not going to try to intimidate them with a laser, I'm just going to shoot.

As for tritium rear sights, are you planning on doing some target shooting under low light situations? If not, you don't need to see rear sights. With proper training and practice you may be amazed at how accurate you can be just using the front sight. I have several shotguns and none of them has a rear sight except for the slug barrel of my 870.

Whether it's ducks or doves or your local home invader, you will be shooting at a moving target. That SD has no rear night sight, it's not totally because S&W is trying to carve more profit. In a once in a lifetime battle for your life you will not be lining up your tritium sights. Having said all of that go to the links in the #4 post of this thread to see some of your options. http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...ht-sights.html

Last edited by Zebra365; 03-21-2011 at 08:03 AM.