View Single Post

Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,095 Times in 1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
I’m on the side of the fence that thinks a 158 grain bullet at standard pressure is good enough for me. What I would like to see info on is what specifically changed to make the J get the marking for +P. What internally is different than the non +P marked guns? Are they heat treated differently? Did they upgrade the blend of the steel? So if someone says old guns no but new guns yes, then what is the justification?

I don't see that there is a justification at all because +P ammunition is a "tempest in a teapot" in my view. Ammunition makers simply aren't going to churn out a product that is patently unsafe. I've shot perhaps a total of a box of 158 grain +P ammunition in a Chief's Special that shipped from the factory in March of 1952 and that is what it is loaded with if I carry it. I'm not about to unnecessarily fire +P by the crate full through it but do see +P as a non-issue with steel-framed .38 Special Smith & Wesson revolvers.

In fact I'm going to drop that handy little Chief's into my jeans pocket right now in order to walk down and pick up my wife from her office. If y'all ever see a mushroom cloud arising from the northwestern part of the middle of Texas than you'll know that I was wrong and +P really is the nuclear nightmare that the internet seems to think it is.