View Single Post

Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

agreed on the above posts. But as a first time reloader myself (still very green) I think I can chime in here a bit and give you some first hand trial and error experiences.

First the Lee powder scale is 20 dollars, and rightly so. It's sort of a pain to read and calibrate. Once calibrated its accurate but sensitive to a fault. The main thing is IT WORKS and for 20 bucks, if you cant afford anything else don't be afraid (its the only one I have atm and it WORKS just fine. )
Next is the Lee Pro powder disk. These are fine, but they do not throw the charge specified in the Lee reloading manual #2. If for a certain powder it says to use disk .53 to throw 6.2gr (hypothetical disk and charge) your probably going to have to use the next highest auto disk up, .57. I would recommend getting the 2 disk set so you can accurately fine tune your loads to .1grains. I would like to say in my searching and reading of reviews I've not heard really good things about the micrometer charge thingy (the name escapes me atm). But you will be justified in your purchase and given a little time experimenting, will be happy you did with the 2 disk set.
Moving on to the 3 or 4 die set. GO 4, you will be happy your able to make a decent Roll crimp on your 357. I got the 3 die set with mine and purchased the 4th separately.. waste of money on my account considering the carbide factory crimp die cost 18+shipping and the whole 4 die set costs what, 30 bucks?
Moving on to presses. If you have the time get the lee classic turret press. I started out as a beginner reloader buying the Loadmaster. Granted Ive had experience using my buddy's press for a few months but nothing is the same as owning and using your own, there is definitely a learning curve to the LM. The classic press albeit slower will produce more fine reloads due to the amount of hands on time you have to put into each round. If that's not your thing, the turret is faster and just as reliable considering you can do single stages at a time if you wish.
books to purchase? As many as you can get your hands on.
I own Lyman 49th, Lee 2nd, Hornady, a 9mm cartridge data guide (junk). Im trying to find Speer #14 at a decent price and Ill definitely snatch that up.. Sierra is also a good name in reloading.
um did I cover everything? Oh welcome to the world of reloading and before smith crazy can do it, Ill figure id ask.. When you gonna start casting?

just read the above post.. You need a roll crimp on 357 charges, for nothing else then just to make sure your bullets stay seated during recoil.
oh and again. If you go turret 4 hole and are planning on reloading different calibers pick up a spare 4 hole turret for each set of dies. Ready to change calibers? pop out the whole turret dies and all and put in the new caliber. ready to go with no adjusting. cheers.
jc

Last edited by Jc85; 03-24-2011 at 12:45 AM.