View Single Post

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM

Liked 58,919 Times in 9,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic 9c View Post
The fact remains as it was put to me years agone and my dad was quoting someone from his youth. The prosecutor wants to win the case, the defense wants to win the case, the Judge wants to get to the next case, only the Jury decides right and wrong.

Geoff
Who does not make statements prejudicing his position.
WOW-that's a slap in the face.......Guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
You did good forcing the deliberations. I was on one where a guy was doing something while watching two young women sunbath by the river on some holiday (no mre details allowed). A woman in the military walking by was a witness. It was pretty cut and dry. But in the jury room I was at the head of the table, don't remember if I was the foreman, and we started around the table on one side, everyone saying guilty. It came to me and I said, "Now wait a minute..." And I was hit with eleven dirty shocked looks. I said, "Look. I'm not disagreeing with you but I want you each to say out loud WHY you think he's guilty. This has a big impact on this guy's life and he deserves that we at least discuss it." Well, they mellowed out and we discussed it for an hour or less and found him guilty. I felt good but almost felt like Henry Fonda in Ten Angry Men for a minute there.
Personally, I hate being on a jury but I do it.
That's why they call it Jury Duty. It's not supposed to be fun.

Everyone who serves on a jury has my everlasting gratitude for without you we have no justice system.

Everyone who lies to get on a jury to pursue their own agenda (we call those stealth jurors) has my undying emnity for that is akin to anarchy in my opinion.

I echo Erics comments-Thanks for serving and thanks for doing it the way it's supposed to be done. Wyatt that goes especially for you.