View Single Post

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 AM
US Veteran

Liked 526 Times in 242 Posts

I have read that the newer Centennials do not have a hammer block, or any of the shrouded hammer snubs.

I have an M&P from about 1912 and it does not have a hammer block, I think the spring loaded sideplate block was added in 1915. I don't know if the Triple Lock had one, I don't own one. I'm sure a few people were shot by dropped S&W's before 1915,but back then all this added "safety" stuff wasn't as big an issue, like many things in production, safety measures aren't added until a few people die in accidents...... like with the famous ill-fated sailor in 1942....

I'm not a big "snub" enthusiast and do not own a Bodyguard or Centennial but I was told none of these have hammer blocks. I probably will never own a shrouded snub, since my M60 fills my need for a J-frame, but it would be a new piece of info to me to hear that the new shrouded hammer snubs have a hammer block now.

The hammer block only comes into play if the hammer receives a hard blow and the rebound slide safety is defeated or the hammer is broken somehow allowing the firing pin to be impacted. When the hammer is uncocked and "at rest" it doesn't touch the hammer block.There would be no need to keep the chamber empty under the hammer in a Centennial with no hammer block. I don't know why S&W would be adding blocks to these, just to be overcautious? In case the revolver is dropped from 200 stories up, the hammer shroud is destroyed, and the hammer is pushed into the firing pin?

I'm sure there are more than a few exposed hammer S&W's being used and carried every day with the hammer blocks removed.......probably by the same people who don't wear seatbelts. A guy was killed on the highway near me yesterday morning, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was ejected and killed......his passenger, a woman, was wearing a seatbelt and survived with minor injuries. The guy probably had the "I won't get in an accident" mentality and he's dead now. If there's a safety device in place, it's probably there for a reason, might as well use it if it's there.Lots and lots of people died in car wrecks before the advent of seatbelts and airbags, if you got 'em, why not use 'em......I knew a guy who took the airbags out of his car and sold them. I hope he doesn't ever miss them, if he hits a guardrail at 80 mph.Don't be a part of the "I'll never drop my loaded revolver on the hammer" crowd.

Last edited by stantheman86; 03-25-2011 at 01:52 AM.