View Single Post

Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 203 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryfrosty View Post
To repeat: All contemporary S&W revolvers have a hammer block.
Meaning no disrespect, but you're wrong about this. I've been inside several 642's (taking out the flag) and none of them have (or have had) a hammer block. I just went out to the shop and took the sideplate off my 642 which I've had since it was new, and there is no hammer block. More than that, there is no pin on the rebound slide to actuate a hammer block. Nor is there a hole for a pin. Therefore, your all-inclusive "all contemporary S&W revolvers have a hammer block" is incorrect.

I don't know about your personal revolvers, having not seen them, but unless they were part of some special run that added hammer blocks, I can neither understand where they came from or why they are necessary. The function of the hammer block is to prevent a heavy blow to the hammer from breaking it and causing it to strike the firing pin or primer. An enclosed hammer can't be struck by an external object, hence the gun can't be fired in that fashion, and thus a hammer block is unnecessary on an enclosed hammer revolver. The rebound slide controls the hammer's movement perfectly well in that case.

Buck