View Single Post

Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,796 Times in 475 Posts
Default CZ 527 .223 bolt rifle, "Mini Mauser" accuracy and goodness (pics)....

Picked up a CZ 527 bolt action .223 rifle the other day, figured I would use it for club rifle matches, 100 yard bench rest and 100 yard High Power. Got a Redfield 2 X 7 compact scope for Benchrest shooting, remove the scope for the High Power matches. Got a spare detachable 5 round magazine for the rapid fire stages...

The action is a Mauser type, with controlled feed and Mauser extractor. Excellent, smooth feel. Has a set trigger if you want precision shots, regular trigger for rapid fire. Trigger is user adjustable for pull weight, overtravel and takeup.

As has been my experience with CZ .22 rifles, I found this to be a quality, accurate, full size rifle, good to go right out of the box. The iron sights were regulated dead on, point of aim, point of imapct at 100 yards. The rifle shoots military 55 grain ball ammunition accurately, I was getting 1.5" -2" groups with the iron sights on my first outing with it.

Picked up a Redfield 2 X 7 compact scope for it, Made in the USA by Leupold, $155. Shot some groups today with some of my handloads, my best effort so far is almost exactly 1" at 100 yards, a Hornady 52 grain Boat Tail Holllow Point, powered by 26 grains of BLC #2.

Here's some pics:

Best group and golf ball, both shot at 100 yards:

I really like this rifle, gives me some more reloading experimenting to do. Unfortunately for my wallet and domestic situation, CZ also makes a carbine version of this rifle, 16.5" barrel, weighing in at 5.9 pounds.....

Hmmm....

Last edited by canoeguy; 03-29-2011 at 08:16 PM.