View Single Post

Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 PM

Liked 34,025 Times in 3,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
This is where they sit through briefings, laying their Sam Browne belts on the tables while listening and then putting them on before going to their cars. It is also the place where they visit during breaks between bookings and such. There have been more lies told in that room in the last 20 yrs than there has been in politics in the last 100 yrs. One of the Commanders says it is also the most prone for accidental discharges.
With 'several' AD's reported in the briefing room, sounds like a procedural issue that needs addressed.

After 17 years with the sheriff's office we've never had a AD/ND in the office. We have gun lockers for a reason. The only reason a firearm comes out of the holster in the office is to/from a gun locker. If a duty belt needs to come off, gun goes in the locker first. Need to take a dump in the restroom, gun goes in the locker first. I have suspended more than one deputy for taking their duty belt off in the office with a firearm still in the holster.

Different training styles I suppose, but how long does a briefing take that officers need to take their duty belts off? If our office was the most prone place for AD's, I think I'd be doing my paperwork in the car or at a donut shop. Don't mean to be so critical, but that's plain scary.