View Single Post

Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Liked 171 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
...beautiful Hybrid...and like you said...what the 58 should have been. Could you please advise who did the work and is that a 57 6" barrel that has been cut back or 4" barrel that had the sight removed...

Thanks...Bob
Bob,
Bowen did the work. I have four identical guns, the only difference is in the caliber and the base gun. The one in 41 Magnum and the one in 45 Colt were both built on Model 58s. The ones in 44 Special and 45 S&W were built on Model 520s. The 41 Magnum barrel is from a Model 57 and started out as a 6.5". It was cut down to 4" and the sight you see pinned in place. I never like the look of the shallow angle front sight on the 58 so I asked him to give me one with a 60 degree serrated rear face. The sight picture is MUCH improved. No glare at all regardless of lighting. And I think it looks better. The barrel on the 45 Colt came from a Model 1955 and was originally 6.5" as well. Except for the cylinder being rebored on the 45 Colt, the work on the two guns is identical. All the work came out to approximately $1400. The Model 57 barrel was another $150 as were the grips. I recouped about $100 by selling the 58's barrel and another $100 for the grips.

Keith