View Single Post

Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo38gn View Post
Stu,

Can you explain to me exactly what happens when the dead trigger kicks in after installing the Apex kit. I always thought it happened when I installed one of the new Apex sears and the trigger pulled all the way back without releasing the firing pin. I adjusted the trigger bar tab that contacts the bottom of the sear and all was fine since...
Jack:

The dreaded "Dead Trigger" we're talking about is where the sear refuses to reset, so it can't grab the striker. Squeezing the trigger then results in nothing happening....

The sear can fail to contact the striker during recoil, which then results in the gun not being cocked.... It apparently bounces around a bit.... Meantime, the shape of the sear and the sear block (the latter being that hunk of MIM that holds all the fun parts) is a little sloppy, and may or may not make this situation more likely. Putting a larger plunger and stiffer spring under the sear seems to fix this. (Randy knows where I live so I have to add that it's the sear block that's sloppy ....)

Your "dead trigger" is more likely from a slightly out-of-spec trigger bar that no longer hits the sear where it's supposed to. The fix - bending the trigger bar just a little - seems to be more than enough, and is pretty cheap, too .... (Now you know why that thing has the little loop in it. Besides contacting the drop safety plunger, it can be adjusted without much effort, and without hurting - if you're careful - the drop safety action.)

The DCAEK kit may affect the latter 'cause the new sear has a slightly different shape. The whole design resembles trying to put your car key on a 10' pole and operate a door lock with it.... (OK, it's a little more reliable .)

Regards,