View Single Post

Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Liked 1,460 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
Sorry but I disagree with those saying this could have happened with any other type gun. The next time I am in the local briefing room of an area PD I will take some photos. There have been several unintentional discharges that left marks in the floor, all from Glocks.

It CANNOT happen with my cocked & locked S&W 1911 or any of my other semi autoloaders. They have safeties. For my 1911 to discharge in such a fashion, it would have to have the ambi safety clicked off, the grip safety depressed, the trigger pulled and the holster that would allow such trigger contact through the holster. Not going to happen. It would be difficult to happen with a nice revolver since the trigger pull would have to be longer and take more pressure to bring the hammer back so it can fall on a round.

As most here know, I am an expert in the field of accident & crime scene reconstruction. I see more accidental discharges with Glocks than any other brand. Some here favoring the safe Glock may want to take a look at all the lawsuits from their gun discharges. Granted, since there are more out there in daily use, Glock has more exposure and more potential for discharge.

In the above case, I would almost bet the indenture of the holster was caused over time from the seat belt coupler rubbing against the holster as the poster is seated in his car. There has been more than one seat in a police car punctured in such a fashion but it is usually on the left side of the car.
Back a few years ago in my old department a female officers had been holding a perp at gunpoint (with Kimber 1911) and later when she re- holstered it went off.

1. She forgot to re-engage the safety and
2. The trigger caught on the thumb break and BOOM!

So it can happen. Negligence is negligence. There was also a similar case with a Glock in my state but I don't remember where.